Re: Status of dpkg-shlibdeps tracking ARM object linkage ABI mismatches

On 2023-06-21, Emanuele Rocca wrote:
> On 2023-06-16 11:19, Emanuele Rocca wrote:
> (1) I couldn't find any armel object with the hard-float flag set.
>
> (2) There are a few armhf packages shipping files with the soft-float flag.
>
> All of them, with the exception of the u-boot packages, are written in
> Pascal. It seems that fpc just emits the wrong flags. As an example,
> here is the readelf output for the armhf version of cqrlog. Note that
> Tag_ABI_VFP_args is not set either.
> Full list of armhf packages shipping ELF objects with the soft-float
> flag set:
> u-boot-rockchip
> u-boot-rpi
> u-boot-sunxi
> u-boot-tegra

For u-boot, the boot process for some boards may include components that
are running baremetal and are not strictly armhf-capable, so that is not
hugely surprising...

Maybe there are some performance gains to be hard, but as long as u-boot
can load a kernel and successfully boot into userspace on these
platforms, I would not be too worried about weather hard-float is
enabled for these targets.

live well,
  vagrant