Re: [Debian-NYC] Automating backporting (was Re: Workshop #2: using what we've learned)

Dear Micah,

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 11:36:28AM -0500, Micah Anderson wrote:
> > I won't be able to participate in the workshop, but I have had a
> > question for quite a while; can you guys think of an elegant way to
> > automate the backporting process? By this, I mean I'd like to write a
> > single script, say lenny-backport, which:
>
> Have you seen the script that Russ Allbery has written to do this?
>
> http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/scripts/backport.html

Actually, I haven't seen it. It makes more sense for me to use/adapt
it, rather than write my own. Thanks for pointing this out.

> Join us now and share the software;
> You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.
> x2
>
> Hoarders may get piles of money,
> That is true, hackers, that is true.
> But they cannot help their neighbors;
> That's not good, hackers, that's not good.

Wow, thanks for this snippet! Noted for future use! :-)

> At the recent debconf there was some discussion about setting up a
> system to automatically backport all debian packages that had not
> received a special tag in the BTS to prohibit the automatic backport
> (either because the maintainer does not wish it to happen, or there are
> problems that keep it from happening), the idea would be that
> maintainers would get buildd-type reports to help them sort out these
> corner cases for their own packages... It was mostly a pie in the sky
> idea as I dont think anyone is actually implementing it, but it would be
> an interesting one to play with if you were so inclined!

Let me dig through the details and prod others for information. If I
am confident that I have a neat way to get this done, I will get down
to writing it.

> 0. http://www.gnu.org/music/free-software-song.html

Thanks for the response.

Kumar