Re: Gaia Sky

Hi Toni,

On  Do 19 Okt 2023 09:01:19 CEST, Toni Sagristà Sellés wrote:

Hi there,

I am the developer of Gaia Sky (https://zah.uni-heidelberg.de/gaia/outreach/gaiasky), a free and open-source astronomy visualization software (3D Universe-like). The most important feature of Gaia Sky is that it supports catalogs of over a billion objects in real time.

We offer already a .deb package for download in our website.

A long time ago, there were attempts to bring Gaia Sky to the official Debian repos (see https://codeberg.org/gaiasky/gaiasky/issues/39). The discussion was initiated by Ole Streicher, but sadly nothing ever materialized.

Do you think there's still interest to make it happen? Would Gaia Sky be a good candidate for Debian Edu Astronomy?

Regards,
Toni

also a reply from me.

It is always good if Debian package maintainers have a personal interest in the software to be packaged. As you seem to have that, you are probably the first/best candidate to pick up the packaging task for the initial, official Debian upload. Also, count me in as a possible sponsor / coach for getting the packaging of Gaya Sky polished enough for the initial upload.

Does a debian/ folder for the software already exist? How did you create the .deb packages? If the debian/ folder is available, is it published somewhere, e.g. on codeberg.org?

Also Cc:ing Ole on this, maybe he still has interest in the software... The software is suitable for team maintenance by the Debian Edu Packaging Team, but also suitable for packaging under the umbrella of the Debian Astronomy team.

@Ole: can you give feedback? Are you still interested?

light+love
Mike
--

mike gabriel aka sunweaver (Debian Developer)
mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: sunweaver@debian.org, http://sunweavers.net