Re: [DebianGIS] [psg@debian.org: Re: About proj]

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 05:06:35PM +1200, Hamish wrote:
> > Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> > > They were generated by some complex process by Gerald back in the
> > > early to mid 90's, presumably using TeX and a bunch of specialized
> > > stuff.  They are apparently no longer generatable, and I don't have
> > > any of the source materials.
>
> Paul Wise wrote:
> > Some options;
> >
> > There is now a GUI editor for PDFs, maybe they can be considered
> > 'source' as-is :)
> >
> > Convert to html/txt via pdftohtml or similar and use the result as
> > source.
>
> cleaner:  Use the (very handy) pdftk package.
>
>   pdftk file.pdf output out.pdf uncompress
>
> That converts it into a PostScript-like text file. Do your edits then
> recompress it.

Yes, PDF are editable but I would not define that 'the preferable way to
manage changes' in the GPL sense just to say :), and there are
a few images which are clearly of unknown origin.
Finding the original TeX stuff would be much nicer, else manual updates
will be always produced in terms of a new 'changes from the X version'
which is not the most usable form of documenting things.

> Frank:
> > > You can of course keep them out of Debian if you find the
> > > circumstances unacceptable.
> Paul:
> > Unless the copyright/licence is unclear, that probably isn't
> > necessary.
>
> And if there is a problem, we can just ask Gerald....

That would be better to understand if the manual is released under
MIT license or public domain.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine