Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:13:21 -0400
From: "Gerald I. Evenden" <geraldi.evenden (ta) gmail com>
To: Hamish
Cc: Frank Warmerdam
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: [DebianGIS] [psg debian.org: Re: About proj]

[...]

On my distribution I use what I believe is called the MIT disclaimer that
gives VERY open freedom to use in any manner.  Although I do tack a copyright
notice on each file the MIT inclusion should release everything for any
usage.  Of course this is for the libproj4 material.

As for PROJ.4, which has been out of my hands for some time, it was clearly my
intent that it should be totally free and clear from any copyright
restrictions.  Some of the material was developed while I was at the USGS
which also emphasizes the free and clean nature of the software.