Re: Joining the Go packaging team

On Sat, 2021-10-30 at 08:32 +0200, Aloïs Micard wrote:
> On 30/10/2021 04:51, Mathias Gibbens wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >   I would like to join the Go packaging team on salsa. I'm not yet
> > DM/DD, but I do have a salsa account; my username is gibmat.
> >

> Granted! Welcome on board :)

  Thanks!

> >   One question I do have for the team: how do you handle re-
> > introduction of Go packages that existed in Debian before, but for
> > one
> > reason or another were then removed from the archive? For example,
> > golang-github-juju-schema (RM'ed as it was a leaf dependency for
> > another Go package that an individual was working on packaging) or
> > golang-github-juju-testing (RM'ed because of dependency on mongodb;
> > suspect we'll just drop the mongodb-specific parts of that
> > library).
> > Both those packages still have git repositories on salsa.
> >

> The Debian policy has a section on this topic [1].
>
> Basically it depends on the use case, if it's is essential for the
> package you're working on, then brushing up and reintroducing the
> package
> make sense of course. These things happens and packages gets
> reintroduced
> because someone else has the need. Make sure to check why the package
> has
> been removed tho, it may give useful pointers.
>
> On the other hands, if the package is only a test dependencies and
> like
> used only a few times (this notion is relative) then I would think of
> reintroducing it 'too much'. (of course it's my own opinion). In this
> case
> I would write a patch to remove the usage of the package, and even
> submit the
> patch upstream maybe? (Why everyone is rewriting their own test
> library these
> days instead of using what std provides :D)

  Or the numerous forks on github that have no significant (or any)
changes from the original repository, yet one of the forks randomly
seems to be the one that everyone uses....

> I guess you should compare the two options and follow the one that
> feels 'best'
> (i.e (re)introducing a package is work, take time to maintain, etc...
> while sometime
> if it's only used a few time, a patch could be helpful). But again
> it's mostly my own
> opinion!

  Yeah, I personally try to make minimal changes when working on
packaging, and try to upstream as much as possible so I don't have to
maintain the diff. I'm lazy, but in a good way. :D

> >   I will be following the ITP/RFS pattern for packages that I work
> > on,
> > although for the first couple ones I'll likely ask this group for
> > some
> > focused critique to ensure I'm creating good Go packages for
> > Debian.
> >

> Sure thing! Have fun with the process.

  This weekend I'm hoping to get a couple simple packages ready for
review, and I'll ping the group when that happens.