Re: Question about how to proceed with an update breaking another packages tests

On തി, ജൂൺ 6 2022 at 03:11:56 വൈകു +05:30:00 +05:30:00, Nilesh Patra <nilesh@debian.org> wrote:
The problem I am facing is: Updating go-crypto breaks go-pgpmail [5]. I
 created an issue upstream [6] and
 it seems that it's just an issue with it's
 tests.

I read the github issue. It seems so.
But I am not 100% sure if it really is tests - we can only know once we decrypt
this in the test code and check back.
I am (virtually) maintaining pgp mail since the
maintainer is inactive, and pgpmail is used for aerc.
It'd be a problem if it is not just the tests.

But we can't keep an older version forever too. We can't block a required update forever. Only a reasonable notice and heads up is how we do transitions. Breaking without sufficient notice and time is what we should avoid.

 - Just ignore the failing tests and update go-crypto

Please never break other's packages.

Never break without coordinating. Sometimes we have to leave packages behind if no one is willing to maintain it. So if you don't care about aerc personally, you are not really required to keep maintaining it. You can ask for help and even orphan it. Many times, removing an unmaintained package is the right solution. If you don't see a fix in say one or two months, then I don't think it is reasonable to block the update. Another factor is how urgent the new update is. In general, we want to update to newer versions when possible.