Re: Upstream which doesn't want to migrate to GTK3

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 13:17:11 +0200,
Pál Tamás Ács<palikacska@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dear Andreas,
>
>It's completely understandable that some devs don't want to migrate to
>GTK3 as it just can't be seen as a proper successor of GTK2. GTK3 is
>still slower, much more unstable and immature than latest (now only
>maintenance) versions of GTK2. There are many API breaks among minor
>versions. There are several bugs Red Hat is unwilling to fix. There
>are several annoyances and anti-features like mandatory recursive
>search <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/-/issues/839> and several
>parts of the general widget elements are underdeveloped or
>intentionally dumbed down to give the unprofessional look of an
>Android tablet on a desktop computer which is just insane.
>
>I think it would be a better and more constructive idea to consider
>keeping the latest maintenance release of GTK2 in upstream and
>maintain it on Debian level with local patches. The only question is
>whether we have enough maintainers for that.
>
>Best,
>Pál Tamás Ács

Well, as I understand GTK2 will be removed (or at least the GTK
maintainers would like to see packages migrate to GTK3). Do you mean
that I should maintain a GTK2 to 3 conversion of asunder in Debian only,
which upstream have no interest in? I doubt you will find many
developers who would want to do such maintenance.

I would like to remove asunder from Debian, and if a GTK3 upstream
conversion is released (by the asunder upstream maintainer or by
someone else), I would gladly package that in Debian.

/Andreas