Re: Trouble connecting from Debian Linux to Yaesu FT-450AT using hamlib or kermit

On 07/11/2010 01:20 AM, Colin Tuckley wrote:
On 11/07/10 05:05, Tom Epperly wrote:
Please cc me directly on replies. I am trying to use my Yaesu FT-450AT
connected to my Linux Debian Unstable box for the first time, and I am
having trouble connecting to the rig via the cat cable. I am running
2.6.32-5-amd64 on an AMD64 system. I have a Prolific-based USB-serial
adapter that's connected to the Linux box's USB port and the radio's CAT
cable port via a USB hub. I've used the cable and hub from a Windows
laptop before without problems.

You are using a serial cable - with a 9-pin D-type connector via a USB to serial adapter, Correct?
Correct.

The 9-pin plug almost certainly has level convertor circuitry in it (the one for my FT-817 certainly has). I saw the same symptoms when I connected mine directly to my Debian Squeeze box.

The problem is that the level convertors need power and gets it from the control pins of the serial interface. When I use fldigi I have the Hamlib config set with the DTR+12 box ticked.
Thanks for the reply. I tried fldigi with the DTR+12 box ticked, and it didn't work. According to kermit, it's also setting the DTR on. I assume on means high voltage. The FT-450 has it's own power, so it's kind of odd that it's looking for power from the serial port.

Tom