Re: Sponsorship Request

Paul, Tony, et al:

I've just got the debian package for liquid-dsp 1.3.2 building on my local machine with a small test program I wrote. (It demodulates APRS packets! I'm having a friendly competition with direwolf.)

I forked the repo on salsa to track my work, and submitted a merge request per your instructions. (I hope it's ok to do development work on salsa like this!) I documented my workflow, and added some questions and points that I need guidence on. I'll await feedback from wherever it comes -- salsa, or the mailing list.

Merge Request in Salsa: https://salsa.debian.org/debian-hamradio-team/liquid-dsp/merge_requests/1

Thanks,

- Tim

PS: Continuing in the failures of mailing list etiquette, this message got stuck in drafts. Thank you for being so patient with me!

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 9:29 PM Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 07:56:30PM -0400, Tim K wrote:
>    Oh yow, so it turns out I'm bad at mailing lists. Turns out I hit reply,
>    but I should have hit reply all.

No worries, they're tricky sometimes!

>    Christoph - I've put some links down in the bottom, sorry for not being
>    clear in the first email.

>    Tony - I followed your instructions and made an account over on Salsa.
>    I've sent a membership request for the group--though that may have been
>    slightly premature

>    Paul - It appears that liquid-dsp is on there already. I could build a dsc
>    -- but I've read something about watch files, and it seems that the
>    project has a working one.

Cool! Watch files help you download the new upstream source -- so in
this case the new liquid-dsp release tarball. We still need to update
Debian packaging when upstream releases change. You can learn more
at[1], and you interact with those files using `uscan`.

>     - Here is where the project is located on Salsa:
>    [1]https://salsa.debian.org/debian-hamradio-team/liquid-dsp
>
>     - Here is the author's github, referenced in the debian/watch file:
>    [2]https://github.com/jgaeddert/liquid-dsp/

>    What should I do from here? Should I build a .dsc, or should steps be
>    taken over on Salsa?

Really great question! I'd start by cloning the salsa repo that you
found, downloading the latest liquid-dsp tarball (maybe using uscan if
you can get that working!), and update the `debian/changelog` to the
latest release. Check over the patches, dependencies, etc. If it all
builds and works correctly, you can send the DSC or send a Merge Request
against that Salsa repo and ask for review on the list.

Building locally is the best way to start; and after you're comfortable,
you can send those changes pretty easily!

>    - Tim

Hope that helps!
   paultag KC3NWJ

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch