Re: Is it possible to update pandoc, please?

Hi Renzo,

Quoting Renzo Davoli (2024-01-01 20:11:07)
> Dear debian-haskell maintainers,

I recommend to discuss this in bugreports whenever possible, and the
issues you raise here seem to easily fit into two bugreports:

>                  The latest Debian SID package is v. 3.0.1 while pandoc upstream has already
> released 3.1.11.

Generally upgrading pandoc to a newer upstream release is tracked at
bug#1057852.

> I am using pandoc to generate man pages in several projects (and Debian packages).
> https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=virtualsquare%40cs.unibo.it
>
> Unfortunately man pages created by pandoc < 3.1.7 are incompatible with
> latest groff.
> See: https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/issues/9020

Specifically improving Pandoc related to generating man pages is tracked
at bug#1053777.  Yes, one way to *solve* that bug is by upgrading pandoc
generally, but the more specific the issue, the more likely it is
possible to cherry-pick a bugfix, in case generally upgrading is too
complex to do quickly.

> Lintian complaints for man pages generated by pandoc < 3.1.7.

It is helpful if you can check if the complaints are all directly
related to the issue reported in bug#1053777, and if not then file a
separate bugreport for each specific issue you identify.

Please notice when filing bugreports that they should be filed against
src:haskell-pandoc (i.e. the source package for the main Pandoc library,
not the binary package for the pandoc executable binary).

Kind regards,

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones