Re: HP and Debian

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 03:50:43PM +0100, Elliot Dray wrote:
> I have a brief question about HP and Debian. I thought until recently that
> Debian was HP's preferred Linux distribution, but I read recently that HP
> have signed some agreement with RedHat. I also read that long time advocate
> of Debian Bruce Perens no longer works for hp.

Bruce did leave hp, yes.  But many debian advocates still work for hp.

> I know that some HP Unix/Linux guys read this list. so my question is has
> Debian been confined to the backwaters of HP Linux development in favour of
> Redhat? can we expect the hardware documents locked in the vaults of HP to
> be scrubbed and released for open source developers to construct drivers
> for HP specific hardware?

I don't think this is really the right list to comment on this
kind of thing, and I'm certainly not the right person to comment (see
http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/1999-December/thread.html
, articles entitled "Puffin sells out!" ;-)