Re: Trouble with kernel=/

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 07:59:04PM -0500, Kurt V. Hindenburg wrote:
> I haven't been able to subscribe to the hurd-help list (help-hurd-request
> @gnu.org is not responding to my emails), so I'll try this
> list.  I have installed the tar-ball file of hurd.  I've been using the
> "Easy guide to installing Hurd...".  I'm up to the 6th part where I'm
> trying to use GRUB with kernel=/boot/gnumach root=hd1s1 -s
> >From what I gather, root=(hd1,0) and root=hd1s1 are correct for my system.
> I get the error file not found.  Using the tab completion ablity I know
> I'm in the right partition.  But GRUB can't find any files in /boot.
> When I boot my normal linux and look under /gnu everything is there
> (/gnu/boot/gnumach.gz).
>   Any ideas??

You might guess what to do from the last lines of your message. I don't know
why this hasn't been fixed in the "Easy guide" (maybe you're looking at the
old version of it), but you are supposed to give
GRUB the full name of the gnumach kernel, that is:
kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=... -s
the same goes for serverboot:
module=/boot/serverboot.gz
If you get problems after that try upgrading to the latest version of GRUB,
you can find it in the www.gnu.org site.

Igor