e2fs and cd //

I made a clean installation of hurd again today.  What strikes me from last
time is that potato's current e2fs still makes a filesystem that hurd (or at
least grub) has difficulties to read; so I had to downgrade to the stable
again..  I don't know if this is a bug in e2fs or grub though; linux had no
problems with it whatsoever.

I noticed too that when accidentally typing "cd //", the prompt tells me
that I am in directory "//", but act just lika I'm in root...

Regards, EOF