Re: old ext2fs server (was: Re: Newbie probs.)

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 12:59:57PM -0500, Igor Khavkine wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 01:53:03PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > When compiling on a seperate partition, you can attach gdb to the crashing
> > ext2fs process and get a backtrace.
> >
> > When I last compiled X, it took three days and nights on my P100, and it did
> > not crash a single time. However, this was before the ext2fs server was
> > upgraded to reflect changes in the ext2fs format. :-/
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marcus
>
> Is there a way to get this older version of the ext2fs if I'm still using the
> 'old' ext2fs format? I'd take stability over the latest bells and whistls
> anyday.

Of course, you can checkout an older Hurd from CVS and compile that.
ext2fs depends on lots of libraries, but you don't need the full dist, just
go into build/ext2fs and "make ext2fs.static".

You would need to go as back as of Aug 22. Aug 23 the changes were commited.

Or take an old gnu-YYYYMMDD tar file and extract gnu/hurd/ext2fs.static only.

But note that there have been some bug fixes too since then.

Thanks,
Marcus