Re: Dvorak keymap

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 04:24:38PM +0200, Kalle Olavi Niemitalo wrote:
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@beer.com> writes:
>
> [ 4 held-down and 4 locking modifiers ]
> > Do I have to rewrite Mach terminal controller ?
>
> Yes.  If you do, I'd like to see the patches.

Design question :

Why keyboard is controlled in kernel-space, if Mach is microkernel ?
Shouldn't data-stream be redirected from keyboard to userspace etc.
Maybe not raw, but translated to :
pressed key nr 66
relased key nr 27
etc.
(if there are no more key than 127 it can be byte per info)
So userspace program can trivially translate this stream to
key values, allow rates > 30 keys/s, delay < 250ms, dozen modifiers
etc.