Re: Installing Debian/Hurd

curt@gwis.com <curt@gwis.com>  wrote --

>  I *think* I found the message to which you refer, and no, that bears
>  no resemblance to what I got, or get.

I didn't think there would be: you've already installed on IDE. I just
hoped that you may have ran into it at some other point.

>  I can run a trace/capture now, on what I will shortly find out if it's
>  the same, or similar.
>
>  Would you like that ?

A trace of your scsi problem? I don't think the problems are similar,
but I'd love to see what someone else's install looks like.

>  Here, or elsewhere ?

I prefer here, so there'd be some archive of it kept.

later,
ali

PS. I know it's unorthodox, but let me just paste your earlier mail
here so I can reply to it:

 | My problems deal with SCSI.
 | So....
 | I "acquired" another IDE drive. Making 5 work is not easy :-)

5 disks?! Can your box support that?!!

 | Got hurd running on an IDE drive, but it won't mount a scsi drive at
 | all.
 | GRUB finds, and uses the SCSI under BIOS control just fine, but the
 | kernel
 | crashes with a cannot find servers.boot file error every time if it's

When I used grub, I didn't go into command-line by pressing 'c'. I
went into edit 'e', instead. Then for each cmd, I used TAB to see if
cmd-line completion finds the file.
This way, when you are editing the 'kernel' cmdline, you should be
able to use TAB to see if it can find files in different parts of the
filesystem,

It's a dumb test, but that's all I can think of right now.

 | on
 |the scsi.
 | Works every time from IDE drives, though.
 | Always get a failed initialization on the WD-7000 SCSI device ( small
 |wonder,
 | since the scsi is Advansys ) and probing each LUN times out, twice.
 | Copied the whole bloody IDE hurd system to a scsi drive.
 | Got me past the native-install script, anyway.
 | Now getting "device unconfigured" errors on some disks, while others

I'd suggest figuring out the original kernel problem
(servers.boot). If the workaround is running into its own problems,
it's best to focus on the original problem.

 | work.
 |
 | Will a Linux scsi driver module work with the hurd kernel somehow ?

Not being intimately knowledgable about hurd, I'd still venture to
say, 'no'. A driver is tightly bound to a kernel.

 | Can I boot a RAM disk, load the appropriate SCSI drivers, and then
 | re-mount the SCSI disk as the root ?
 | Does an advansys driver exist at all for the hurd ?
 | Can it simply use the existing SCSI BIOS ??

Don't know.

 | Is there any docs on this, so I can study the FM ??
 |
 | I'm starting to feel like a leach, rather than a contributor.
 |
 | ANY pointers appreciated.

For my own problem, I'll see if the source code of ext2fs.static will
give me some hints. This is not the most time-efficient way of
tackling the problem, but it may be educational.