Re: GNU philosophy[was Re: Hurd on VMware ?]

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 11:23:36PM +0000, Adam Sampson wrote:
> The arguments occurred because RMS wants to keep GNU Emacs under FSF
> copyright, and the maintainers of XEmacs (notably Jamie Zawinsky) didn't
> want to hand copyright on their modifications over the FSF, so the changes
> have never been merged back into GNU Emacs.

"Never reply to one's own message."

Jamie Zawinski (yes, I can spell his name, honest) has a page up with some
relevant messages from the GNU mailing lists---this is probably the place to
go if you want to find out what the arguments were about:

http://www.jwz.org/doc/lemacs.html

--

Adam Sampson
azz@gnu.org