Re: Berlin vs X windows port to the hurd

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 09:13:04PM -0700, Jim Franklin wrote:
> Hi folks
>   I'm not to knowledgeable on the issues of Berlin and X windows but the
> general consensus I get from people is the X windows is out dated
> technology and Berlin is the up and coming contender.  Why would we go
> for an X windows port instead of a Berlin port first?  Is Berlin a
> project that will be usable only in the far future or is it near a
> usable state now?

Hi,

first, geting X out of the door is not too hard, and will happen in the
not so far future. Most things needed to get it working are not even much
related to X specifically, and are the same under X and berlin.

Then, Berlin is under active development, which means that it is not ready.
X is as lively and up-to-date as ever, and there are hundreds of applications
for it. We surely don't want to miss them, do we?

Third, X is actually a prerequirement for Berlin, as we need a display
engine for Berlin, and porting a native display engine for GGI will be harder
than just using the X backend for it.

So, as much as I would like to see Berlin as the first GUI in the Hurd,
I am afraid it will be our old X Window that makes the run :)

As someone asked: Berlin is hosted by sourceforge, check
www.sourceforge.net and search for berlin.

Thanks,
Marcus