Re: rc

On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 03:10:22PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:

> On 2000-08-08 at 14:54 Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> >This looks good. Debian has an even finer distinction:
> >
> >   reload
> >          cause the configuration of the service to be reloaded
> > without
> >          actually stopping and restarting the service,
> >
> >   force-reload
> >          cause the configuration to be reloaded if the service
> > supports
> >          this, otherwise restart the service.
> >
> >However, we can always indentify your "reload" with Debian's
> >"force-reload" and ignore this difference.
>
> I think this is a very important distinction. In most cases, it is
> overkill (no pun intended) to simply kill a service, and then restart
> it, to let it reload its configuration.

You didn't read carefully, but FWIW, I think everyone agrees with you.
force-reload is worded this way: "cause the configuration to be reloaded
if the service supports this, otherwise restart the service."
What this distinctions allows is to say: reload only if the service allows
it without restarting, otherwise do NOT restart the service, keep it
running.

So you should give it some thought if this is a useful thing to say, and
then you should make a decision whether to allow for this or not.

Thanks,
Marcus