Re: hurd-init

On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 02:20:39PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 07:34:13AM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > Here is the challenge : imho service manager (a.k.a. maybe-GNU init)
> > should be used to start / stop ppp links, mount devices,
>
> Nonononono! We have passive translators do to exactly that!

Passive translators are not at all answer to question of stopping
services to release resources.
Ok, 'service start floppy' and 'mount /mnt/floppy' might not be needed if
/mnt/floppy will mount on demand (easy), even 'service start ppp' or 'pon' might
be not needed if /dev/ppp0 will be started on demand (harded),
but there is currently no alternative to 'umount' and 'poff'
(connection paid-by-minute, remember ?) and service manager might really clean up
things plus provide common interface.

> The need for init scripts should be comparatively small on the Hurd.

/etc/init.d/nfs and friends are prietty little part of all init scripts imho.

> We don't want all the mess you find in Linux, and we don't need it.
> Translator services are started up by demand.

There are also non-translators services like all UNIX daemons, misc fixing scripts
(like clock sync) etc.

Also, general service manager wolud be much more useful if could run also on GNU/Linux.