Re: System requirements

How stable is the NFS client?
Does shadowfs work yet?

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 09:00:21PM -0500, Allover Stripes wrote:
> > * Will it run in 8 megs of RAM?
>
> Make sure you have a swap partition if you want to do something useful
> (beside looking at the prompt and whispering *ah, it runs* :)

That was what I did last time.  Only it was more cursing, "Aargh, it
doesn't run!"  It later turned out the hardware was flaky.  So I'm
going to try it again on new hardware.  The machine runs GNU/Linux
now, so it needs a big swap partition anyhow.

> > * How much hard drive space does it require?
>
> As always, the real question is what do you want to install?

I want to test things, basically.

> If you follow the cross-install way or use the gnu-19990104.tar.gz file,
> you will need at least 40 MB (you _could_ do with less, but then it gets
> difficult :)

I can clear up 90 megs or so on that machine.  Thanks!

> If you want to install all existing (useful) packages, you probably need
> 150 MB. Well, With 70-80 MB you actually have a small development plattform.
> I was able to do useful work within 128 MB partition, but it is narrow.

> Add to these values whatever you need for developing, compilation, etc, and
> you are done.

If the NFS client is stable enough, I can mount some space from my
newer machine.  On an old-style Un*x box, I'd put /usr over NFS.  I
realize the Hurd disapproves of this, but is shadowfs in such a state
that I can do this?  (Incidentally, I keep wishing Linux supported
shadowfs and translators...)

Thanks,
Andrew