Re: Hurd on my i486 won't boot

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 11:30:52PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> The better solution would be to port the emulation code from Linux to GNU
> Mach. This needs to be done anyway! If you are interested in this... at
> least you have a machine without coprocessor and could test this! (I have
> a pentium, no way to remove the coprocessor here :)

Yes, I'm interested; I'd like to see Hurd running on the 486. (And for those
of you that are interested, Hurd won't boot under VMWare, due to VMWare's
dodgy MMU emulation.) What exactly needs to be done? Presumably I can
cross-compile gnumach under Linux without too much bother; I'd hope that
there wouldn't be too much work involved in porting the FPU emulation over.
I've had no experience of i386 assembler yet, and I'd assume that I'd need
to know some for this. But I'm willing to give it a go, if you can give me
some pointers.

--

Adam Sampson
azz@josstix.demon.co.uk