Re: script for translator management

Hi Kalle,

On Tue, Aug 24, 1999 at 03:35:15PM +0300, Kalle Olavi Niemitalo wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > Both changed:
> >  Query user for action to take.
> >  Available will be several possibilities (installing new translator, no
> >  action, etc).
>
> Dpkg seems to leave *.dpkg-old or *.dpkg-dist files;
> would the script do something similar?

This is indeed an interesting question.

This feature is definitely useful and wanted.
However, I am not sure were to include this feature.

Note that the script must keep track of the translator in the package anyway,
so it can find out if the transaltor was changed. It will keep a database
somewhere. Suggestions about the exact location are welcome (somewhere under
/var probably). This database will always contain the translators of the
installed packages, and can beused to find out the ".dpkg-dist" information.

We have at least three options:
1. Include the installed translator in the database, when a customised
   translator was changed to default (".dpkg-old").
2. mv /translator /translator.dpkg-old  resp. creating a
  /translator.dpkg-dist translator
3. "showtrans /translator > /translator.dpkg-old" resp.
  "echo translator-information" > /translator.dpkg-dist.

Option 2 has the problem that we have passive translators that are not in
use. Accessing them could have unwanted side effects (starting up a
translator that should not be active). Therefore I am slightly in favour of
1 or 3. With 1, we could have a -query option for the user to find out which
translator was originally there (or supposed to be there, resp).
However, if t can be assured that the passive translators in 2. can not do
any harm, this option is probably preferable.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Marcus