Re: mach deficiencies

On Sat, Sep 04, 1999 at 09:27:00AM -0400, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > I would like to have multiple kernels in the Debian distribution, so you
> > could choose which one you want ot run currently. I don't know hard it is to
> > achieve this. Could Hurd be designed to run on different microkernels
> > without recompilation?
>
> This is extremely unlikely, if you want any real performance.
> Programs make system calls, down at the root, and one of the key ways
> that different microkernels affect performance is by changing the
> syscalls.
>
> You could, of course, do emulation, but then you immediately lose
> whatever advantages you would have gotten.
>
> Basically, I think that libc, the Hurd, and any statically-linked
> programs just have to be compiled separately for each kernel.

That's still a reasonable set. So I think the best we can do is to make it
possible to install multiple sets of these packages for dual boot.
Probably through shadowfs. But that's really only a configuration
issue, and has little to do with the development of these ports.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org  Check Key server