Re: Booting the Hurd (boot errors)

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 03:45:28PM -0700, Nick Jennings wrote:

> Hey, thanks for the help. Im now able to actualy start the booting of the
> Hurd. this is what I entered into GRUB:
>
> root=(hd0,4)
> kernel=/boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s4

Either one is incorrect.

GRUB counts partition from 0, GNU Mach from 1.

So it is either (hd0,3) and root=hd0s4 (/dev/hda4 in linux)
             or (hd0,4) and root=hd0s5 (/dev/hda5 in linux)

Because this is a FAQ, it is mentioned in the FAQ at
www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-faq

and in the easy guide. (But don't worry, it IS confusing, and GRUB needs to
be "fixed" by having and alternate input format. I hope Gordon does this,
right Gord?)

> module=/boot/serverboot  (I 'gunzip -d serverboot.gz' as per the
> 			  suggestion of a previous post, should
> 			  I have left it gz'd?)

With a recent GRIB, either way is fine.

Marcus