Re: panic: main: no root node!

On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 04:04:13AM -0400, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
>     I had been meaning to spend the time to get Hurd setup on one of my
> pc's so I could start tinkering with it.  So, early this morning I started.

That's great Ivan! I hope we get your system up and running soon.

> Most of the time was spent figuring out GRUB...

Yes, we know :/ But the documentation will be improved, promised! There are
already people working on it.

> ext2fs: hd0s1: panic: main: no root node!

Whoa! I never saw this one.

please make sure that:

You have made a ext2fs partition of type 83 (NOT 63). That you used the "-o
hurd" argument to mke2fs. Probably not use mke2fs 1.15, but an earlier
version.

You gave GRUB the command:
root= (hd0,0)
kernel= /boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s1
module= /boot/serverboot.gz

Because the rest of your setup is absolutely standard (IDE, first partition
on first disk, that's amazingly easy to get running, if you know how :), I
suspect the problem is somewhere above, probably the partition type.

If nothing above helps, write us again. And if osmething helped, let us know
what problem it was.

> (this is a laptop)

Mmmh... I don't have much experience with laptops. Does anybody think this
could cause problems at this early stage? (I mean, at least it should boot,
shoudn't it?)

> another thing, I am dumb when it comes to hardware..and I haven't had to
> worry about address's or anything like that before.  How do I figure out
> what the partition addresses are?

Don't worry, you don't need to know.

> I want to be able to setup grub to boot
> my NT partition but all the docs are designed with windows being on the
> first partition where as I have it on the 4th.  Any help with this would be
> appreciated as well.

You should be able to apply the same docs, and just substitute (hd0,0) with
(hd0,3).

Thanks,
Marcus

--