Re: File system corruption

On Sat, Oct 02, 1999 at 03:47:50PM -0400, John Tobey wrote:
> > On 30 Sep, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> > >   If you are experiencing
> > > the same ext2fs problem I am, you will see the following:
> > >
> > > "ext2fs:  Warning:  bad type XX in directory entry: inode: YY offset: ZZ"
>
> I saw this message very frequently using ext2fs from
> hurd_19990907.deb.  A fresh build from CVS today seems not to help.
> (I replaced only the dynamic ext2fs, but the warnings are about a
> partition controlled by the new version.)

Yes, both the tar file and CVS are broken wrt ext2fs server :(

> Besides console messages, I am seeing gcc die occasionally with
> "Computer bought the farm".  Restarting make gets around the problem,
> but the failures gradually become more frequent until the system
> becomes so unusable that I reboot.  I managed to build ext2fs with
> symbols, attach, and stop it at the point of printing the warning.  If
> anyone who can't reproduce this wants to debug it, I'm willing to set
> you up with a shell on the Hurd box.  Unfortunately, I built with -O3
> optimization, but would be willing to try again at -O0 (if the system
> survives long enough).

I saw those, too, while trying to compile CVS. I won't upload the package
because I distrust my Hurd system until ext2fs gets fixed.

Note that you probably also will end up with duplicated blocks and other
horrible fs destruction.

> I'd really like to be working on a different project, so I'm looking
> for the latest hurd (preferably .deb) that does not have this bug.

Then you have to go back to pre-19990823 where the changes have been
introduced.

> The snapshots directory on alpha.gnu.org has a series of tarballs
> ending at 19990329.  Is that my best bet?

No, the best bet is to checkout a cvs version between 19990711 to 19990822.
You only need to replaces ext2fs and ext2fs.static. As the Makefiles have
changed, replacing only the ext2fs directory won't work. You will also need
the old Makeconf at least.

Sorry,
Marcus

--