Re: A few other problems

On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 07:52:49PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 04:34:38PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > 1) People that telnet to the box can go around and cat files (even
> > > /etc/passwd!) without even logging in.
> >
> > The Hurd has the concept of a user who is not logged in. A fourth set of rwx
> > permissions. Those are set to r-x by default it seems. The right fix would
> > be to modify chmod etc to support those flags and make use of it.
>
> What I need is a guide to these things.

Please write one :)

> I know the top-level (generic
> microkernel vs. macrokernel) and the low-level (different commands,
> from the quickstart guides), but not the in-between (ie, what is a
> stranslator?  what can it do?  why do I use socket/2 when I set up the
> network?  what is socket/2?)

Well, the translator concept is one of the tihngs that are underdocumented,
but it is at least covered by some stuff. Please try the Debian GNU/Hurd pages
at http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd, especially ...hurd/hurd-doc-translator
in this case.

All below /servers is convention. The Glibc library and Hurd servers are
looking in this place for points of communication with the Hurd servers.
For example, if a program crashes (segfault), the /servers/crash server will
be accessed. Whatever translator is set on this inode will get a chance to
handle the crash (for examle by doing a core dump, or putting the process in
the background).

The /servers/socket/ directory contains, well, sockets :) The
translator on /servers/socket/2 implements the pfinet sockets,
/servers/socket/1 is for pipes etc. Of course, those translators need to
implement a special protocol, which is documented in the *.defs files
(those are used by MIG for interprocess communication (IPC) over RPC's).

> > > 3) there is no proc
>
> Right, I just thought df was looking for it :-)

Under Linux it does.

Thanks,
Marcus