Re[2]: Problem making serverboot Re: new hurd package

Hello Chris,

CL> Hope you do not mind me replying.  You are making the same mistake that most of
CL> us have made.  You are probably using ./configure followed by make.   This does
CL> not work.

Well,  this  works for all programs that use autoconf. Why should Hurd
be different ?

CL> Use:
CL> dpkg-build-package  -uc  -B
CL> If you do not have it, get dpkg-dev.  You may need to get other packages if the
CL> build blows up.  If you want to repeat the build, keeping stuff that is already
CL> made do
CL> dpkg-buildpackage  -nc  -uc  -B

So I need dpkg just to compile Hurd from sources ? I can't believe it.
I   respect   Debian   for  their  work  but  IMHO  kernel  should  be
distribution-agnostic  and  depend  only  on  the  strictly  required
software  (C  compiler, make, etc.) so that it can more easily be used
in another environment.

Best regards,
 Roman                            mailto:roman@nstl.nnov.ru