RE: The Hurd and autoconf (Was problem making severboot)

> Brent Fulgham says that autoconf is good at identifying the Hurd
> if you have a current version.  I believe the version I have is the
> latest from Debian unstable, which is 2.13.  I also have the latest
> automake, for what little that may be worth.

2.13 is the version I am using as well.  The difference may be that
the things I have been compiling may not make use of some of the
headers you need (since they have not generally been network-enabled
packages).  If you find problems, lets file bugs against autoconf
and automake so they get fixed.

One other possible problem is that you are experiencing a subtle file
system corruption.  I had several cases where seemingly random
areas of my hard drive would get trashed.  I think things are a bit
more stable now, but there may still be bugs in the ext2fs server.
For example, after building ncurses, I found that parts of my include
directory had been corrupted.  After restoring my hurd partition, I
built apt a few times (which is heavily C++ oriented) and I lost part
of the terminfo database.

You might want to re-install some of the packages you are using and
see if that helps.  The corruption seems to be linked with heavy
disk use.

-Brent