Re: Why df always gives an error message

On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 11:47:37AM +0000, Chris Lingard wrote:

> > df /
> >

> I know, you have told me before.  This error message annoys people, judging from

People need to adjust their expectations :)

> > > The file /var/run/mtab is touched by  rc.sh.  In the Hurd source
> > > daemon/ChangeLog, is a note that the file must exist for mke2fs to
> > > work.  Does mke2fs use this file to check for mounted partitions, and if
> > > so can the Hurd mke2fs a mounted partition?
> >

> I am still worried about mke2fs

So please go and make some tests if you can and let us know if there are
actually problems to expect.

> What about System Administrators of large Hurd networks.  How will they know
> what partitions to back up/copy/update.

I hope system administrators know their partitions :) Note that /etc/fstab
is still there. I don't know what the need of system administrators you
refer to, though.

> How parallel are the binary updates and the source for Hurd.  I applied the
> Hurd_19991209 patch, but since then I have installed stuff built from CVS
> source, downloaded about 12 December.  When you make releases would it be
> possible for you to let us know if the source could also be used, instead of the
> binary?

I don't understand. The Debian packages are directly from CVS, with little
to none changes. In the future, the changes will be zero (because I should
have write access to the debian/ directory in CVS).

None of these uploads are releases. They are snapshots for your convenience.
I always try to make a new snapshot when important bugs are fixed and new
developments in CVS have been tested and stabilized.

Thanks,
Marcus