Re: Why df always gives an error message

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 11:47:37AM +0000, Chris Lingard wrote:
> > >
> > > df /
> > >

> > I know, you have told me before.  This error message annoys people, judging from
>
> People need to adjust their expectations :)

> > I am still worried about mke2fs
>
> So please go and make some tests if you can and let us know if there are
> actually problems to expect.

Running Hurd mke2fs on an unmounted partition

This works but has some strange effects, it says that it has made type GNU/Hurd.
When the partition is settransed a df shows

    1024-blocks    Used Available    Capacity    Mounted on
    1013984            15996    97292        2%            /dev/hdb3
On Linux it is
    981372                13        930660        0%        /Source

Note that Hurd thinks that it is larger.  It was made as a 990Mb partition, as were
four others.

This partition appears to work.  Files can be written, and it retains data between
re-boots.  Returning to Linux, this partition will not mount.  fdisk shows it as a
Linux Native type, but mount gives the error "wrong fs type, bad option, bad
superblock on /dev/hdb3"

Sub note
If file /var/run/mtab is deleted after a reboot, then mke2fs still works but gives an
error message.

Running Hurd mke2fs on a mounted partition

Yes it does.  It will work on any partition, since it has no way of checking.  This
has a strange effect of damaging the previous disk translator too.  I have /dev/hd1s2
as /Debs and /dev/hd1s3 as /Source.  With both settransed, then mke2fs /dev/hdbs3,
then a reboot the following message is given:

Unknown code P2 while determining whether /dev/hd1s2 is mounted
Unknown code P2 while determining whether /dev/hd1s3 is mounted

Also, once in this state, the partition cannot be un-settransed.  It is permanently
busy.  If the mounted partition is well populated with files it also messes up
Linux.  You have to put in the su pass word in during Linux boot,  fsck cannot fix
the partition so you have to run mke2fs in single user mode; then reboot.

Sorry this is a bit long,  but I think we may have a little problem here.

> > What about System Administrators of large Hurd networks.  How will they know
> > what partitions to back up/copy/update.
>
> I hope system administrators know their partitions :) Note that /etc/fstab
> is still there. I don't know what the need of system administrators you
> refer to, though.

I thank you for your faith in us, but it may not be justified.  A network that I
recently worked on had 26 DEC alpha server, each with about six disks.  There were
various other UNIX servers, 50 WorkStations.  The various groups using this had the
authority to change their configuration.  If something went wrong then df would be
one of the first commands that I would use.

> > How parallel are the binary updates and the source for Hurd.  I applied the
> > Hurd_19991209 patch, but since then I have installed stuff built from CVS
> > source, downloaded about 12 December.  When you make releases would it be
> > possible for you to let us know if the source could also be used, instead of the
> > binary?
>
> I don't understand. The Debian packages are directly from CVS, with little
> to none changes. In the future, the changes will be zero (because I should
> have write access to the debian/ directory in CVS).

Sorry, I will reword.  I used various tarballs,  then used Hurd_19991209.  Since then
I have built and installed the Hurd from source.  I think you mean that the Hurd
source is up to date and that I can use this instead of binary packages.  I like to
build systems from source rather that get binaries, if there is a change I would like
to reload the source and build it instead of getting a binary.  The gnumach that I
use was built from code downloaded two weeks age, and the Hurd that I use was built
from source downloaded last week.  OK, I have a dream,  I would like one day to make
a sensible suggestion about Hurd source code.