Re: i completed tasksel/debian

On 05/12/2006, at 7:06 PM, senthil kumar wrote:

i completed tasksel_debian packages for 2nd level debian installer

... just now i translated Tamil one packages tasksel/debian

package  :tasksel.debian
language :Tamil
Teams    :BOSS CDAC-CHN
<snip>

Senthil, as Jens and Christian have said, once you translate your file, there is a procedure for submitting it:

1. check your PO header is filled in
2. check for errors
3. submit the file to the BTS

1.
I see you are using Kbabel. It has preferences which allow you to fill in the parts of the PO file header.

Here is the first screen of the Kbabel preferences, as I would fill them out for my language:

http://www.riverland.net.au/~clytie/viet/prefs_kbabel.html

The other screens ask for the copyright line, the character set etc. This is a suggested header for you:
___
# Tamil translation for FILENAME.
# Copyright © 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
# Senthil Kumar <senthilb@cdac.in>, 2006.
#
msgid ""
""
msgstr ""
"Project-Id-Version: FILENAME AND VERSION\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: \n"
"POT-Creation-Date: 2006-12-05 07:41+0100\n"
"PO-Revision-Date: 2006-12-07 21:17+1030\n"
"Last-Translator: Senthil Kumar <senthilb@cdac.in>\\n"
"Language-Team: Tamilcdacchn <Tamilcdacchn@yahoogroups.com>\n"
___

Compare it with the header on your file, and you will see what was missing. I'm assuming you're using UTF8, which is the standard encoding.

The plurals field is also useful, because it means you will have only the number of translation fields you need in PO files. I got your plurals expression from the Translate Wiki:

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/l10n/pluralforms

2.
Check for errors. Do you have gettext installed? Type:

gettext --v

on the command line. If you don't get a reply, please get gettext from:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gettext/

and install it.

You need gettext to run the PO file check:

msgfmt -cv -o /dev/null FILENAME

3.
Once your file is complete, including the header, and the check is OK (it should say something like "XX messages translated"), you can send your translation in to the Bug Tracking Service.

You send an email: