Re: im-config | Use im-config on Wayland without uninstalling IBus (!5)

Ginnar

I read this exchange again.  Maybe we need to take some time to
understand each other better.

On Fri, 2020-05-22 at 12:09 +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> On 2020-05-22 06:57, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> > Changwoo Ryu <https://salsa.debian.org/cwryu> commented:
> >
> > See the MR !6

I saw this one.

https://salsa.debian.org/input-method-team/im-config/-
/merge_requests/6>

> But the consequence of what Changwoo now suggests is that we would
> make a change to the logic of the user interface:
>
> * If you want to use an IBus engine, select "none" if if you are on
>    GNOME on Wayland, or else select "ibus".

Is this true? I think Changwoo merely moved what Gunnar implemented in
ibus to auto.  Most user should be using "default" (system default).
Thus, in tern they picks "auto".  "auto" has heuristics to pick
installed IM which us "ibus".  Now it pulls "none" for GNOME Wayland
automatically yielding result Gunnar wanted.

> This would make the user interface less intuitive and I'm pretty sure
> it would cause cause confusion. And for what reason?

How?  If so, let's think least fractious path forward.

> If I'm voted down, and Changwoo's proposal is supported by the
> majority, I may have a minor improvement to the proposed code.

Let's not rush to simple majority rule.  Let's address all the aspects
from all sides.

Regards,

Osamu