Re: im-config | Use im-config on Wayland without uninstalling IBus (!5)

Hi Osamu - thanks for feedback!

On 2020-05-23 07:58, Osamu Aoki wrote:
On Fri, 2020-05-22 at 12:09 +0200, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
But the consequence of what Changwoo now suggests is that we would
make a change to the logic of the user interface:

* If you want to use an IBus engine, select "none" if if you are
  on GNOME on Wayland, or else select "ibus".

Is this true?

Yes. Because the adaptation to the GNOME on Wayland way to use IBus is moved away from 21_ibus.rc.

That's what Changwoo wants to achieve, and the reason why I object.

I think Changwoo merely moved what Gunnar implemented in
ibus to auto.  Most user should be using "default" (system default).
Thus, in tern they picks "auto".  "auto" has heuristics to pick
installed IM which us "ibus".  Now it pulls "none" for GNOME Wayland
automatically yielding result Gunnar wanted.

Indeed, the end result when relying on the system default is the same. I'm talking about cases when users select framework explicitly via ~/.xinputrc.

This would make the user interface less intuitive and I'm pretty
sure it would cause cause confusion. And for what reason?

How?

Because I assume that when a user wants to use an IBus engine, they find it most natural to select IBus. If in doubt, they may google around and quickly get confirmation that they should select IBus.

But if they do that in case of GNOME on Wayland, and given Changwoo's suggestion, they break stuff on the desktop. At least the OSK. Maybe other things as well. And there is an obvious risk that they won't realize the reason why things broke.

There are more things I'd like to say, but don't have time to talk more today. Hopefully I'll find the time tomorrow to test a bit and comment further.

--
See ya!

Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj