Re: ibus package and packages with "ibus" in its name

On 2023-04-23 22:29, Dedeco Balaco wrote:
Em 23/04/2023 14:25, Gunnar Hjalmarsson escreveu:
Well, both ways work in some environments. Only the way described in
GNOME Help works for me on Ubuntu, for instance.

Actually, that specific docs section was rewritten a few years ago. And
I'm guilty of that.

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-user-docs/-/commit/10201c14

The conclusion from the discussion in the related bug was that it's best
to describe the universally working method rather than a method which
only works for some users.

I see. But what i am suggesting here is another change. In the current
version of the documentation, it is not clear where the *ctrl* and
*shift* keys should be released. Your change removed this "detail". Now,
it is ambiguous. I released them after *typing* (where "*typing*" is to
"*press and release*") _all_ the five keys: *u* and the _4 digit hex
character code_, in this order. You released them after *typing* the *u*
key. If one of these methods do not work, the ambiguity should be
removed - right? Mentioning when the *ctrl* and *shift* keys should be
released solves it, in my opinion.

I see what you mean now. And I also notice that my original suggestion was slightly different:

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=362300

Due to a comment from a patch reviewer I modified it to the current wording.

But you are right, it is ambiguous. Would you mind submitting a docs issue about it? ;)

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-user-docs/-/issues

(Otherwise I may give it a new try.)

My environment is Debian with Mate Desktop. It started forking from
Gnome 2. This explains why both, where they work, for me: the are
software which it does not work at all; for these, i started to use any
other open window, which is usually open - and i have the habit of
always having the Pluma text editor opened in all my virtual desktops,
and it works in it.

I see.

--
Cheers,