Re: General questions setting up IPv6 on my playground (Linux Debian Woody)

Peter Cordes <peter@cordes.ca> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 10:33:04AM +0200, Sebastian Niehaus wrote:

[...]

>  I don't know.  That seems odd to me too, but I got v6 working over a year
> ago, and haven't really payed attention to it since.  What kernel version
> are you running on toxic?

It's the 2.4.18 from Woody.

,----
| niehaus@toxic:~$ uname -a
| Linux toxic 2.4.18-1-586tsc #1 Wed Apr 14 17:57:38 UTC 2004 i586 unknown
`----

(pfff, boxquote.el working again :-))

I just brought up another machine. Which has the same kernel and -
again - a /10 netmask. And crystalline - which has the /64 netmask -
ist running 2.4.26.

Coincidence?

> > Okay, so we have a look at the other maschine:
>
>  s/maschine/machine/  That's your English lesson for today :)

Ooops. It's one of my fingers habits which become bad as soon if I try
to write englisch - errrm: english.

> > [...]
> > I thought, auto configuration would get a step further and let me
> > ping6 between the maschines but it dind't - prabably because the IPv6
> > adresses ar misconfigured.
>
>  try ping6 -I eth0.  link-local addresses need to know which link.

Ouch! This was a FAQ.

And - believe it or not: It worked :-).  I could pin6 my Scope:Global
addres from crystalline now :-)

> > Any idea , why this misconfiguration
> > happened? I tried to initialize the interfaces again, but that didn`t
> > change anything).
> >

> > Du I need to run radvd? I already tried: again: No success au all
> > althoug radvddump shows, that advertisements are transmitted.
>
>  Yes, you need it.

Okay.

> > My configuration file (which has been generated by tspc[2])
> >
> > | niehaus@toxic:~$ cat  /etc/radvd.conf
> > | interface eth0
> > | {
> > |  AdvSendAdvert on;
> > |  prefix 3ffe:0bc0:10ab:0001::/64
> > |  {
> > |  AdvOnLink on;
> > |  AdvAutonomous on;
> > |  };
> > | };
>
>  That's what I have for my freenet6 setup.  (Exactly the same as yours, but
> I have eth0 instead of ppp0.)

Its nice to hear that.

> Mine came from freenet6, and it works.  Other
> Linux machines on my home LAN get 3ffe addresses.

Mine don't get. Or: how much time does it need to accept the router
advertisements? Are they accepted even after the interface comes up?

> Hmm, for some reason
> tsps2.freenet6.net doesn't seem to be talking to me anymore. :(  But I have
> ssh over ipv6 working internally.

Hm. At least they talk to /me/. Maybe they prefer clueless guys ;-)

> > running radvd on "toxic" (which has IPv6 connectivity) makes appear
> > announcments on crystalline:
> > [...]
> > ... but I don't observe any IPv6 reconfiguration. BTW:
> > [...]
> > Can vou give me any hints what I am missing?
>
> Maybe crystalline's kernel has already given up on v6 autoconfig?  check
> dmesg (and /var/log/dmesg) for stuff like eth0: no IPv6 routers found.

This is a laptop which gets booted infrequently but which stays in
suspend mode.

> If you take eth0 on crystalline down and up again (i.e. with ifup or
> ifconfig), the kernel might pay attention to radvd's messages.

That's what I alrady tried (and to be sure: I just did it again. With
no effect.

Is there any other method to trigger again autoconfiguration. I really
hate rebooting (but if nothing else helps ...)

\me typing init 6 on my new machine ...

Okay. The new machine came up and it got an Scope:Global IP :-) Thank
you.

So I needed to reboot to get autoconfiguration up running. Is there
any other way to go?

Thank you so much,

Sebastian