Re: network printing

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Wayne Sitton wrote:
> I don't remember seeing if this posted the first time, so forgive me if it did.
> I need to set up a debian box to print to a Windows NT shared printer.
> The NT server is a PDC .  The printer is an HP 5000.  If anyone could help, I
> could use it.

I have done this a few times (but for a HP LaserJet IIIP, HP LaserJet
Series II, HP Laserjet IID PCL and a NEC SuperScript 1800 which were
printer shares on NT systems or a Windows 98 system.).

- Search the net and find a printer filter for your HP 5000.

- Setup the /etc/printcap for the HP 5000 that points to your printer
filter script.

- Install and configure samba.

- Then make it so the output of the printer filter script goes to the NT
servers' printer.

My printer filter first prints

translate
print -

and then the script processes the file and then pipes its output through
  /usr/bin/smbclient $printer_share -U guest -N -P
where $printer_share is the NT's printer share name.

or
 echo "print -"
before the data is processed and pipe this output to something like:
  /usr/bin/smbclient "\\\\PRINTSRV\\HPLaserJii" passsword-here -U jcr

The "print -" is a command for smbclient. read its manpage.

(Another alternative -- which I don't have experience in -- is to have
the NT run a lpd server.)

Hope this helps,

  Jeremy C. Reed
  http://www.reedmedia.net