Re: network printing

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 10:55:43AM -0500, Wayne Sitton wrote:
> I don't remember seeing if this posted the first time, so forgive me if it did.
> I need to set up a debian box to print to a Windows NT shared printer.
> The NT server is a PDC .  The printer is an HP 5000.  If anyone could help, I
> could use it.
>
> Waynes

The easiest way is # apt-get install printtool
It is a Redhat product, so I don't know about it's security, like
having the password for print server in clear text somewhere.

~# apt-cache depends printtool
printtool
  Depends: file
  Recommends: <wish>
    tkstep8.0
    tk8.3
    tk8.2
    tk8.0-ja
    tk8.0
  Recommends: gs
    gs-aladdin
  Recommends: enscrip

Try it without samba, samba-common, smbclient first, and then
add them if it doesn't work.

You can use any of the hp laser jet filters and have it work,
and if your HP 5000 supports postscript, it will spare some
processor time on your machine.

	J.Currey