Re: Tool for tracking origin of IP addresses?

On Wed, Oct 26, 2005 at 12:01:03PM -0400, Hornet wrote:
> Try
> whois -h whois.completewhois.com 200.0.10.0 | grep country | uniq |
> awk '{print $2}'

You will subject their WHOIS server to impolite loading (and
probably get yourself filtered) if you process your HTTP logs or
something with this method.

There is a DNS list you can use if you're only interested in
country:

$ dig +short -t txt 0.10.0.200.zz.countries.nerd.dk
"br"

That DNS list is built from WHOIS data as well so it does share some
of the same problems, e.g. companies registered in one country can use
their IP addresses worldwide with all the WHOIS entries listing just
the one country.