Re: Tool for tracking origin of IP addresses?

Soenke von Stamm <sstamm@affili.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> we are trying to track where our sites are connected from. Is there any OSS
> tool/database to determine the origin (country) of an IP address?

You can get the location of their ISP with a whois query to their
regional registry.  If you don't know which registrar they're at, you
can ask whois.arin.net.

If you want the location of the actual IP itself, MaxMind maintains a
database of IP address locations, but you have to pay for the database
if you want specific IP location for big ISPs.  (AOL, etc.)  The free
database works pretty well, but all AOL customers are considered
US-based, for example.

http://www.maxmind.com/app/country is the pay version, and
http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_country is the freebie.

--