Re: Java 8 security patching

Hi Thorsten,

Thank you for your continued effort in keeping java 8 up-to-date for the Debian and Ubuntu communities.

Is there a particular reason why you are continuing to update it as opposed to recommending people switch to an alternative distribution such as Temurin?

All the best,

James

On Wed, 8 Feb 2023 at 20:29, Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2023, James Kennard wrote:

>How long will Debian continue to provide a build of openjdk-8? And how long
>will Debian continue to apply security patches to openjdk-8?

The ELTS team is going to support openjdk-8 in jessie and stretch
for as long as they get paid for (see the ELTS project’s pages for
more information).

Currently, they’re coordinating with me, I’m uploading new releases
to unstable to take as base for the backported builds as time permits
and sponsored by my employer (see below); however, openjdk-8 in sid
is not officially supported in Debian and has not since 2019-07-06 if
not earlier. For a given release, only default-jdk is supported; that
is 11 for buster and bullseye, and 17 for bookworm; any other JDK that
mey be available is either legacy compat or technology preview and
completely unsupported (modulo individual volunteer effort as usual).

If you need some level of support for openjdk-8, I suggest to contact
Freexian (the ELTS coordinator). For uploads to unstable to continue,
you might want to contract my employer so I can continue to do this,
as it takes a couple of person-hours each quarter plus extra love for
e.g. getting the tests to pass better. I also have an APT repository
in which I publish builds of openjdk-8 for wheezy (EOL though), buster,
bullseye and even bookworm (those not covered by ELTS), and a PPA at
Launchpad in which I do the same for *buntu LTS releases; if you have
interest in these I might also be made available via my employer. (The
repositories are currently available to the public but unsupported. I
also can only build for x86 at the moment.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Infrastrukturexperte • tarent solutions GmbH
Am Dickobskreuz 10, D-53121 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/

/⁀\ The UTF-8 Ribbon
╲ ╱ Campaign against      Mit dem tarent-Newsletter nichts mehr verpassen:
 ╳  HTML eMail! Also,     https://www.tarent.de/newsletter
╱ ╲ header encryption!