Re: sponsorship of leocad

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 10:58:37AM +0000, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Pat Mahoney wrote:
> > I have packaged up LeoCAD [http://www.leocad.org] for debian.  It is
> > a cad program that uses plastic bricks found in many toys (no
> > particular brand :).  It uses gtk+ and can export various image
> > formats, html pages of the steps, PovRay files, etc.; it supports
> > animationas well.  Very fun for kids (maybe not the very young) well
> > beyond age 99.
> >
> > I am wondering if anyone would be interested in sponsoring this so it
> > will get into the distro.  I have a few legal issues to resolve and a
> > few finishing touches, but most of the work is done.
>
> Could you elaborate on what those legal issues are?  I have had to abandon
> at least one package I had hoped to get into Debian due to legal issues.

The pieces library comes from ldraw (I think there are a few add ons)
[http://www.ldraw.org] and there is no license included in the
archive (used wine to unpack it).  I emailed someone about it and he
just replied, I am confused by what he said, I'll attach the message.
Sorry I don't have the original that I sent.

Also, the cvs archive of leocad included the GPL so I assumed it was
GPL'd.  Turns out the author didn't put that there but that is
cleared now and he said he will GPL it.

> LeoCAD looks very cool.  If you can get the legal issues resolved, I'd
> love to sponsor it.  Do you have packages we can look at now?

Yes I have packages, but I've been having trouble uploading them.  If
I upload them, I'll let you know.  Next week, I'll be in college and
should have adequate bandwith to upload then :)

--
Pat Mahoney  <pat7@gmx.net>

For children with short attention spans: boomerangs that don't come back.
Pat,

I'm sorry I didn't reply to your earlier message.  There are no clear cut
terms on re-distribution of the LCAD part files (all the files contained in
the complete.exe distribution file).  The terms on the original archive
(everything in the ldraw.exe distribution file) are clear:  the files may
not be redistributed in their original form.

Your easiest way out is to direct people to www.ldraw.org, where they can
download the files.

However, there are a group of people working on distributing an ldraw.org
CD-ROM, and they might have some differing insights into this situation.
Tim Courtney is spearheading the CD-ROM project, and can advising better
than I can.

Steve