Re: sftp no longer supported by Konqueror?

On Sunday, 2014-08-31, 15:29:51, Volker Wysk wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 31. August 2014, 13:32:49 schrieb Reinhold Rumberger:
> > Am Samstag 30.08.2014, 21:25:33 schrieb Volker Wysk:
> > > I see. I guess I will wait for the next release of KDE to appear in
> > > Debian.
> > > The machines from which I wish to connect via SFTP are using an earlier
> > > version (I think). I don't really need to connect to my own machine with
> > > SFTP. ;-)
> >
> > Would using the fish:// protocol tide you over? It's what I usually use
> > with ssh, and it seems to be working fine with the latest packages from
> > debian.
> I've never heard of this protocol, but I've tried it now, and it seems to
> work fine. I assume it uses SSH and is secure. (The Wikipedia page mentions
> RSH as another basis.)

fish is basically meant as a fallback when the remote system does not have
SFTP enabled but the user has SSH login.

If I remember correctly it works by logging in and then "typing" a small Perl
program which is then run as a simple "SFTP" server through the existing SSH
connection.

I think it is not as efficient as the real SFTP support but no less secure.

Cheers,
Kevin