Help: getting make-kpkg to build a custom kernel for 586

Hi,

I am attempting to build a kernel for VyOS 1.2.0 (which is based on Debian Jessie) for the i386 architecture and I have been trying to target the kernel at the 586 processor.

I have a kernel configuration, which defines 'CONFIG_M586=y', in the kernel source tree:
./arch/x86/configs/i386_vyos_defconfig

I then run `make i386_vyos_defconfig` followed by `make-kpkg kernel_image`. However at some point during the build process the configuration is updated to set `CONFIG_M686=y` instead. I have attempted to set '--subarch i586' but it doesn't seem to help.

Please could someone help me by explain what is going on and how I configure it to target 586 instead?

Thanks!

nick.

The full shell script that calls `make-kpkg` is here:
https://gist.github.com/njh/5da864f713d0c3c10edd55ff7e5ff0fc

The full kernel config file is here:
https://gist.github.com/njh/d6191ee130620ccd190e9273864775bd

The Kernel sources for VyOS are here:
https://github.com/vyos/vyos-kernel

I am using kernel-package 13.014+nmu1 with a patch to fix bug #890817.