Re: "tweewide: Fix most Shebang lines" in stable updates

Hi Ben,

On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 12:52:31AM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Commit c25ce589dca10d64dde139ae093abc258a32869c "tweewide: Fix most
> Shebang lines" was backported to stable branches including 4.9 and
> 4.19.  This changes scripts interpreted by bash, perl, and python to
> use /usr/bin/env instead of an absolute path to the interpreter.
>
> I think that this carries some risk of regression for users building
> custom kernels or out-of-tree module.  So perhaps we should revert it
> for stretch and buster?

When this was asked for backporting and then queued for stable series
I was indeed worried this might cause issues. Other have raised as
well concern, but it was then appied.

https://lore.kernel.org/stable/YJvC2W9QTpc9JBp1@kroah.com/
and then
https://lore.kernel.org/stable/20210520203625.GA6187@amd/

How about the following: keep it as close to upstream, in case we get
reports, try again to convince upstream to revert the changes as
unsuitable for a stable series. Otherwise we would have to diverge.

But personally I would prefer to remain as close as possible to
upstream.

Regards,
Salvatore