Re: Re: Re: Severity: High / Debian 10 & 11 with Kernel 5.10.x-amd64 => Intel AX210 Wifi & Bluetooth not work

Salut Vincent,

I have found this way of doing things without having tested it yet, maybe it will allow Debian 11 to be compatible with my Wifi / Bluetooth card without having to install a future 5.11 kernel from backports ??

If you could get basic compatibility with the 5.10 kernel for bluetooth in addition to wifi, that would be really good.

Best regards.

Philippe

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1326386/ubuntu-20-04-lts-driver-intel-wi-fi-6e-ax210-160mhz

I actually managed to make the AX210 run in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Linux Kernel 4.15! Here's what I did:

Install the "backport-iwlwifi-dkms" package (sudo apt install backport-iwlwifi-dkms)
Unfortunately, the iwlwifi sources in this package are too old and only support pre-production AX210, so:
Grab the up-to-date backport-iwlwifi sources from Intel's github repository: git clone https://github.com/intel/backport-iwlwifi.git
Now go to /usr/src, there's a subdirectory with the old sources from step 1 there (backport-iwlwifi-7906)
Copy the new sources to a new directory, e.g. sudo cp -a /whereever/you/cloned/to/backport-iwlwifi/iwlwifi-stack-dev backport-iwlwifi-8000
Copy the file "dkms.conf" from the old sources directory to the new sources directory and edit the second line to change the PACKAGE_VERSION from 7906 to 8000
Remove the bad dkms module that was installed with the package in step 1: sudo dkms remove backport-iwlwifi/7906 --all
Add the updated dkms module with the version just created: sudo dkms add backport-iwlwifi/8000
Build and install the updated dkms modules: sudo dkms install backport-iwlwifi/8000
Now the driver is ready, but you still need to get the firmware for the chip:

Clone the linux-firmware repository: git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
Pick out the firmware files you need and copy them to /lib/firmware. If you're not sure which firmware you need, just boot with the new driver and check dmesg for messages from iwl: dmesg | grep iwl - the firmware files it was looking for will be named there.
PITFALL: The AX210 also needs an additional "pnvm" file, which is also found in the repository, but not quite well mentioned by the driver. If it is missing, it'll spray a ton of error messages.
For my Intel AX210 module, I ended up adding these files to /lib/firmware:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1413868 Jun  3 18:27 iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0-59.ucode
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1455104 Jun  3 18:27 iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0-62.ucode
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1460012 Jun  3 18:27 iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0-63.ucode
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   27456 Jun  3 18:46 iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0.pnvm
And it is up and running!