Re: [debian-knoppix] loading data into ramdisk during startup

Christian Perle schrieb:

So my question is: Is it possible (and if so how) to preload certain files into the ramdisk during startup process?

This should do the trick:

rm -f /var/lib/mysql/mysql/*
cp -a /KNOPPIX/var/lib/mysql/mysql/* /var/lib/mysql/mysql

You may include the commands in knoppix.sh in the /KNOPPIX directory
on the CD (not the cloop).

That's a pretty idea :) Thanks! I'll try that tonight. But it still seems strange to me, that these files aren't loaded into the ramdisk when processes require write permission. (i.e. when I start up mysql). This also happens if you exit from the chroot-environment and leave processes running, thus bequeathing pid-files to the iso-image. Usually they should simply get overwritten at startup, but no - as they are not in the ramdisk startup of the respective processes is doomed until you edit these files manually. To me this is not really logical - why are these files shoved into ram when the user requests it, but not when a process does? Any ideas on that?

Thanks and greetings,
Christoph