Re: PCMCIA oddities with 2.2.15 on TP 760ED

Nate Bargmann wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> Due to a hard drive failure I decided to update my Slink system on
> an older/smaller drive on my ThinkPad 760ED to Potato.  All went well,
> so today I decided to update the kernel to 2.2.x and update the PCMCIA
> as well.
>
> As luck would have it, 2.2.14 (which had worked flawlessly for me in the
> past) wasn't available anymore, so I chose 2.2.15 and the related
> PCMCIA-modules package.  As insurance I downloaded the source for both.
> The only thing I use PCMCIA for is the 56k Megahertz modem which had
> worked great until this point.
>
> I rebooted the system and was greated by a slew of unresolved symbol
> errors and a non-working modem.  So I compiled a custom kernel using
> kpkg and also compiled the PCMCIA package.  Had some trouble installing
> them since the kernel maintainer advanced the epoch to 1 and the
> custom kernel was set to 0.  But they are installed.  Upon reboot
> I still have one unresolved symbol error coming from the module
> dependencies calculations and it is:
>
> depmod: ***Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.15/pcmcia/epic_cb.o
>
> Other than that, there are no obvious errors during init.
>
> pppd files to work and in its log it complains of not being able
> to get terminal parameters, reports and Input/Output error and
> exits.
>
> In /var/log/messages, I find the serial driver is loaded and finds
> the built-in port as shown, but the PCMCIA modem is on a wild port
> and IRQ:
>
> kernel: Serial driver version 4.27 with no serial options
> kernel: ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> .
> kernel:     ISA irqs (scanned) = 5,7,9,10 status change on irq 10
> .
> kernel: tty01 at 0x13f8 (irq = 5) is a 16550A
>
> Looking at the same log file from when I booted 2.0.36 this morning,
> I find a different report:
>
> kernel: Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
> kernel: tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> .
> kernel:     ISA irqs (scanned) = 3,4,5,7,9,10 status change on irq 10
> .
> kernel: tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>
> So, can anyone tell me why PCMCIA is not seeing IRQs 3 and 4 now and
> why it's assigning tty01 to 0x13f8?  Perhaps some kind soul can tell
> me how to override this configuration and force it to be normal.
> Strangely, although it assigns tty01 to ttyS1 at 0x13f8 (irq =5),
> pppd can't find it.
>
> What do I do next?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Nate >>
>
> --
>
>  Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
>  Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | heartily, but good
>  Location | Wichita, Kansas USA EM17hs          | men; the rest love not
> [...]

//

hello,

i had a heck of time with pcmcia when i upgraded slink
to potato.  after serveral attempts on different
lapboxes, i was successful.  (i said "no" to shutting
down pcmcia card services during the potato install.
after everything was installed, i re-ran "pppconfig"
and was surprised to find that the modem "moved" from
/dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ttyS1, or something like that.   as
long as it works, i don't care where it chooses to be.)

anyway, what happens when you boot?  do you get two
high beeps for the pcmcia, a hi-low beep sequence, or
no beeps?  i re-ran potato's "pppconfig"  and let it
probe the ttyS's when i had either the 2 high beeps but
no dial-out or the hi-low beep sequence (and obviously,
no dial-out).

i wouldn't even have an anecdotal recommendation if
there are no beeps.  (but, if i were to guess, i'd try
a trusted older kernel, which for me is 2.0.36--yes,
i'm running potato on it, for now.)

hopefully, some others will chime in on this one.

hth.

bentley taylor.

//